Nuffnang ads

Saturday, March 19, 2011

The road to success is paved with candy.

Yes. It's true isn't it? You start the day with a glass of milk, your simple bowl of oatmeal and then you workout. Ahhh.
Then you eat your healthy lunch that's full of complex carbs, vegetables of a myriad of colours and your lean protein (I adore fish btw).
Then you eat some fruit with your baked almonds as a snack. Maybeee throw in another glass of skim milk to curb the hunger.
Then for dinner, you repeat with vegetables, complex carbs and lean protein.
Then SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE, whips out...



















And DAMN, you stretch out your hand and soon enough, you realise you've eaten half a bag of marshmallow/potato chips/ a snickers bar.
WHAT THE HECK?
And you look at yourself in the mirror and you seem a million miles away from your goal AGAIN.

No. In this entry, I'm not going to give you advice like "oh just stop looking" or "say no and you won't think of it" or "I don't eat them so you shouldn't too." (If I say "don't think of a pink cupcake", what do you think of? My point exactly.)
I have a crazy crazy crazy sweet tooth. I adore desserts, especially chocolate. ESPECIALLY MAX BRENNER'S HUG MUG DARK HOT CHOCOLATE. Totally hits the spot on a moody day (thus the boyfriend knows exactly how to get out of trouble.)



THIS is how I curb my sweet tooth:
1. I eat fruits that are sweet. (Dates, water melon, honey dew, rock melon etc)
2. I always make sure I'm full before I take a second look at chocolates. (This helped me so much. I didn't realise that I actually went without chocolate for a month. I'm serious. I'm usually crazy for chocolate during PMS.)
3. I share. (Hey, you save up on calories but you got that sweet spot filled. Woop woop!)
4. I do indulge, but very very rarely. Once a month usually. The max I usually indulge (as in eat dessert like mad) was twice a month.
5. Get a chocolatey protein shake. Low in carbs, high in protein, HL chocolatey goodness. Helps u lose weight and gives you that chocolate kick in the butt.
6. Mints. (clorets, tic tacs etc) Lower in cals and I love the minty taste. As much as chocolate.

For point #2, I usually eat edamame soy beans (sold in NTUC). It's relatively cheap and so easy to prep. Just microwave.

I'm not saying not to consume these junk food treats, but once you stop feeding yourself as much, and load up on more nutritious food, you will naturally become adverse to these junk treats and even view them as "disgusting" because you no longer feel the need to consume them. I used to eat loads of potato chips and instant noodles and prawn crackers, but now, I don't really need to eat them nor even think about them.
*Note of caution: Just as the initial change in diet will cause you to go to the toilet more due to the increase fiber intake, when your body gets used to eating healthy and nutritious food, it naturally DOES NOT LIKE junk food anymore AND you'll be pooping it out as fast as you consume. It can be rather unpleasant and this really helps you fight cravings naturally too.

Never feel like you're depriving yourself of these junk food, but instead, view them as REAL TREATS that should be consumed in small quantities. They were never meant to replace meals or fruit anyway.

Tell me how it goes and feel free to leave a comment on how YOU curb your cravings! =)

3 comments:

  1. Discover great updates recommended and reviewed by the community from tech related to self-helps and traveling at Kendra Bing.

    Also, grab the opportunity to promote your blog postings at http://kendrabing.com for FREE while being discovered by whole lot of other like-minded people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. for me.. dont buy them. easiest :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ken: Haha but my parents do...so I gotta watch it. =p

    ReplyDelete